Benefits of Mud Mask
And even though they’re exfoliating, they also have the added benefit of moisturizing your skin, so you don’t have to worry about becoming too dry. They can also fight acne, reduce the signs of aging, and improve your skin’s elasticity, so those are more than enough reasons to keep using mud masks.
Whether it’s for a spa night or to wind down after a long day, mud masks are always a go to item when you think of high end relaxation and comfort.
Here are 5 benefits of including the use of mud masks in your daily or weekly skin routine.
- Cleansing. Mud masks have great absorption properties. As they dry on the face, they absorb and suck up dirt and oil that may have gathered in small cellular crevices throughout the day. When used daily or every other day, they can even draw up impurities that are buried in the deeper layers of the skin and prevent future blemishes from forming. With all this absorption going on, they can and probably will leave your face slightly on the drier side, so make sure to follow up with a toner and moisturizer!
- Exfoliation. Mud masks are usually made with some type of clay base whether it be bentonite, kaolin, white, rose, etc. Clays in the mud masks naturally exfoliate dead skin cells when the mask is washed off, although the levels may vary. Exfoliation of dead skin cells leaves the skin glowing, radiant, and smooth for you to show off! So if you are going mud mask, don’t go for those peel off ones but get the full benefits with a natural mud that you can wash off.
- Nutrients. If you are going to use a mud mask, you might as use one that is natural. I mean, the name has “mud” in it so why even go for something that is synthetically made? Natural mud masks provides numerous amounts of nutrients and minerals to your skin that your cells can utilize to stay healthy.
- Detox. Although levels may vary depending on what type of clay is used and how much clay is in the mud mask, all mud masks with a natural clay base will have a detox property. A mask with bentonite will provide you with the most detox. Who doesn’t like a little detox on the face!
- Skin tightening. As a mud mask dries on your skin, it tightens your skin as it removes the unnecessary oils and impurities. When followed up correctly with a toner and moisturizer, it can keep your skin looking tighter in a nice toned looking way. Who doesn’t want their skin looking youthful?
Other benefits and uses for Mud Mask are:
Provides Relief for Disorders
Symptoms of skin disorders such as psoriasis, eczema and acne can be controlled by using Dead Sea mud. Its rich mineral content accelerates natural exfoliation and restores your skin’s pH balance. Dead Sea mud is not a permanent healer, but regular use of it can provide physical relief and keep your skin disorder under control.
Prevents Hair Loss
Dead Sea mud masks can be helpful to prevent hair loss. Heredity, stress and scalp infections can cause hair loss. When blood vessels in the hair follicle shrink, food and oxygen are cut off. This prevents hair protein that is essential for hair growth from forming. Hair growth is stunted, and hair falls out prematurely. To use the mud for this benefit, massage it into your scalp and let it sit for 10 minutes. Rinse and shampoo as usual.
Reduces the Appearance of Cellulite
Dead Sea mud has a high concentration of minerals such as magnesium, calcium and potassium. These minerals promote blood circulation, relaxing your nerves. Cellulite is the fat that causes a cottage-cheese like appearance on your body. Fat and body fluids become trapped in skin tissues near the surface of your skin. Massaging Dead Sea mud on the areas with cellulite stimulates the blood circulation and cleanses toxins out through your pores. This helps flatten out the cottage-cheese bumps that are caused by cellulite.
Reduces Arthritic Knee Pain
Researchers from Ben Gurion University found that patients treated with mud compresses taken from the mineral-rich Dead Sea reported less knee pain from osteoarthritis. Far fewer patients treated with mud without minerals reported improvement. The high concentration of minerals in Dead Sea mud help ease knee aches and pains by stimulating the circulatory system and relaxing the nerves.